Summer season can be difficult for those of us “rashy” and breakout-prone people. I count myself as both and my kids are so rashy I actually got called by the school when my son had a reaction to sunscreen (that was not supposed to be used on him).
Through trial and error, research and rashes I have found a few sunscreens that don’t cause rashes or breakouts (for me or my kids). Here are some recommendations:
- Elta MD UV Clear SPF 46. This is my favorite facial sunscreen. It is specially formulated for acne and rosacea (i.e. rashy) prone skin. While it contains zinc and titanium, they are micronized so it doesn’t look white.
- Elta MD UV Physical SPF 41. A close second for my favorite facial sunscreen. It contains only zinc and titanium and has a light tint. It doesn’t leave a white glow.
- Elta MD UV Pure SPF 47. This is a thick white paste, but it protects well and doesn’t cause rashes. It will leave you looking white and also leave white marks on your leather couches, the car and anything else your kid touches (my husband hates this).
- Blue Lizard Sensitive SPF 30+. Again, only zinc and titanium. This stuff is seriously thick. It is made by the Aussie’s who are experts in this arena. I order it from Amazon in bulk. Again, my husband hates it.
- Jason Kids Sunscreen SPF 45. This sunscreen is not as thick and will rub in. I used it for two years on my kids before it caused a rash – you might have better luck.
I tried many Neutrogena, Alba and Skinceuticals- and they all caused a rash in me or my kids, however you may have better luck. In general sunscreen that contains only zinc and titanium are less likely to cause rashes. However, be aware of the other ingredients (such as vitamin E, essential oils, paraffin, and fragrances) can cause rashes.
Good luck to all my rashy and sensitive readers. Hats and rash guards are never a problem for me. Let me know if you find a sunscreen I should add to my list.